BACKGROUND In the beginning of the 21st century, Europe was a land of opportunities, just 10 years later the refrain of Europe's migrant crisis has changed from "welcome" to "enough already". European governments are vacillating between viewing the refugee surge as a humanitarian disaster worthy of sympathy or an invasion that must be stopped.
NEEDS It is therefore necessary to find new ways to make education richer, more innovative, smarter, to give more opportunities to young people for social progress and a richer cultural baggage to deal with the changes. And we need a substantial practice of democracy.
OBJECTIVES So we are working in this project for a new school with four pillars (Ict, Non- formal learning, Creativity and Law), a base (Universal Democracy) and a direction (Equality) because we cannot work together without recognizing our universal human constitution based on equal rights.
- Being aware of a multicultural world
- Giving more possibilities to disadvantaged people
- Promoting citizenship
- Increasing Right, Respect and Responsibility for all cultures
- Combatting discriminations
- Researching and experimenting innovative techniques
- Developing skills for the changing world
- Supporting ICT-based teaching
- Introducing more non-formal and informal activities
- Giving more space to creativity
- Strengthening the critical thinking
- Placing the student at the centre of learning process
- Creating a cooperative teaching and learning environment
- Motivating teachers and students
- Enhancing European cooperation and reinforcing networks
- Stimulating students and teachers to cooperate
TEACHERS of different subjects (Foreign and ancient languages, Science, ICT, Philosophy) with experiences in European and national projects and specific competences in use of ICT in teaching. Among us also a fulltime manager of International programmes
Ravenna: an old school with great attention to new technologies, critical thinking and non-formal learning. A great project of Theatre with prisoners and Theatre of the Oppressed.
Siauliai: a “School of Key Competences” where students can improve their knowledge in mathematics, science, English and history.
Zwolle: a VET school with a large International programme and great experience in social inclusion and disadvantaged people.
Kalamata: a upper secondary school with a great attention to racism, prejudices and xenophobia and experience in games and social events
ACTIVITIES In this project ALL the activities are strictly connected. The project is divided in four terms, each of them characterized by one topic, one main activity, one output.
1. Democracy and participation Output: guideline: how to promote a campaign without losing a friend
2. Creativity and social inclusion Output: theatre in prison, a spectacle with prisoners and students from all around the world, on Dante’s Divine Comedy, performed during the International Ravenna Festival 2017
3. innovation in education Output: collection of ict tools for education
4. non formal learning and life skills Output: a collection of tools to promote NFL.
PLAN OF ACTIVITIES DURING THE LTTA: There is a 6-day schedule with
A. Two days at school to work on the topic.
B. Two days of visits to: NGOs active in social fields (inclusion, democracy, participation)
C. Two days of cultural and social activities: Historical sites, museums, libraries
D. A social/cultural event: an exhibition, a concert, a comedy, a festival
METHODOLOGY – Student- centred methodology – Creative and Critical Thinking – Promoting empowerment and self-esteem, especially for women – Space to ICT and languages – Experiences more than knowledge – Sharing and communication of every part of the process, process as important as result – Documentation – Problem solving, case studies and authentic assessments – Ensuring Accountability and Promoting Responsibility – Addressing Discrimination – Non formal learning – Peer education – Seeking Sustainable Results – Enjoying the school time
RESULTS AND IMPACT At the end of the project Students are expected to 1. develop competences in 1.1. basic and transversal skills (language, literacy, mathematics, science) 1.2. ICT skills 1.3. life skills 1.4. ethical approach 2. gain a broader understanding of: 2.1. critical and creative thinking 2.2. problem solving 3. raise awareness of 3.1. citizenship 3.2. democracy 3.3. social inclusion 3.4. participation 4. empower to be more active 4.1. in their communities 4.2. at local level 5. enjoy and participate more actively We expect also results in teachers, schools and communities
LONG TERM BENEFITS The maintenance of project facilities will be guarantee by the school structures for 3 years. The project involves approx. 800 people and that is the first guarantee its benefits will continue. All the schools, all the communities are involved in a cooperative way. Staff and headmaster are directly involved